New Chancellor’s Office, The Metternich Room

Clemens Wenzel Prince Metternich (1773–1859) moved his office to the South Wing of the Federal Chancellery as he preferred brighter rooms. 200 years later, and for the same reason, Wolfgang Schüssel (*1945) in 2000 moved his office into the room Metternich had occupied.

Schüssel’s successors also recognised the advantages of this room with its lovely view of the Volksgarten and stayed there. The fact that the new room is somewhat smaller than the original Chancellor’s Office obviously does not trouble them.

Watercolour from around 1820

Fig. 1: The Chancellor’s Office in Metternich’s day (© Austrian National Library)

Continue to the Grey Corner Salon.